Please update your browser.
Business has an important role to play in advancing the transition to a low-carbon economy. JPMorgan Chase is committed to helping our clients navigate the challenges and capitalize on the long-term economic opportunities and environmental benefits of progressing toward a low-carbon world. We are applying our capital, data, expertise and other resources to help address climate change and promote long-term, innovative solutions for a more sustainable future.
We strive to promote sustainable development through several avenues, including:
Sustainable Solutions and Financing
Supporting our clients and financing opportunities that accelerate the transition to a low-carbon economy and a more sustainable future.
Minimizing the environmental impact of our operations, including from our corporate buildings, retail bank branches and data centers.
Stakeholder and Policy Engagement
Engaging with stakeholders to identify and advance best practices and new opportunities.
Additionally, we leverage the skills and passion of our employees to advance sustainability in our communities. Within our business, we also actively consider environmental and social matters as part of our overall approach to risk management. Across our sustainability initiatives, we’re committed to providing transparent and regular updates through our public reporting and disclosures.
Separate from our firmwide sustainability efforts, J.P. Morgan Asset Management has developed its own approaches and investment processes. To learn more, please click here.
Supporting the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy
Supporting the Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy
As part of our Paris-Aligned financing commitment, we set 2030 carbon intensity targets for key sectors of our financing portfolio and are tracking progress using our Carbon CompassSM Methodology. We are also a member of the Net-Zero Banking Alliance to help set the world on a path to net-zero by 2050.
News & Stories
Reports and Disclosures
JPMorgan Chase is committed to reporting regular updates on its sustainability initiatives. Read our latest reports and disclosures to learn more about our approach, commitments and performance on sustainability matters.
2021 Environmental Social & Governance Report and Appendices
Published April 2022
Our annual ESG Report provides updates on the firm’s efforts to run a healthy, vibrant company that is helping to advance a more sustainable and inclusive economy. The report also includes an appendices for disclosures informed by the recommendations of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
2022 JPMorgan Chase Climate Report
As of December 2022
The 2022 JPMorgan Chase Climate Report provides information on how the Firm is addressing climate-related risks and opportunities, including within our corporate governance, business strategies, risk management, and progress towards our targets.
Environmental and Social Policy Framework
As of October 2021
Environmental and social issues are an important component of our risk management process. The Environmental and Social Policy Framework provides an overview of how the firm approaches these issues across its business.
2021 Green Bond Report
Learn about our inaugural green bond issuance, its use of proceeds and impact metrics, and our Sustainable Bond Framework in our 2021 Green Bond Annual Report.
2021 JPM Development Finance Institution Annual Report
Read about the J.P. Morgan Development Finance Institution’s (JPM DFI) 2021 activities and how they align with the broader landscape of the firm’s work on environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors.
Carbon CompassSM methodology
Learn more about our work to align key sectors of our financing portfolio with what we consider to be the primary goals of the Paris Agreement.
Sustainable Development Target Approach
Learn more about our criteria for determining eligible business activity for our sustainable development target and how we account for the value of transactions.
Find our archived ESG Reports, ESG Report Indices and Corporate Responsibility Reports.
Other ESG Resources
Find other resources such as our Equator Principles Reports, Sustainable Bond Framework and Human Rights Statement.
We have a long history of advancing environmentally sustainable solutions that help transition to a low-carbon, more sustainable future. Some notable milestones include:
- Releases targets and Carbon Compass methodology for the firm’s Paris-aligned financing commitment.
- Sets new targets to drive progress on operational sustainability, including a commitment to reduce the firm’s Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030.
- Announces new sustainable development target to facilitate more than $2.5 trillion over the next 10 years to advance climate action and sustainable development, including $1 trillion for green initiatives.
- Publishes inaugural Green Bond Report summarizing the impact of our $1 billion green bond issuance in 2020.
- Joins the Net-Zero Banking Alliance to support the global ambition for reaching net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Adopts a Paris-aligned financing commitment and commits to achieving operational carbon neutrality starting in 2020.
- Issues $1 billion inaugural green bond with proceeds to fund eligible green building and renewable energy projects.
- Announces new sustainability commitments, including $200 billion in financing in 2020 to drive action on climate change and advance the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Publishes first voluntary report on managing climate-related risks and opportunities, guided by recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
- Announces new commitments in July to: 1) source renewable energy for 100 percent of the firm’s power needs by 2020; and 2) facilitate $200 billion in clean financing through 2025.
- Partners with Current, powered by GE, to install energy efficient LED lighting across Chase branches.
- Executes first Power Purchase Agreement for energy from 100 megawatt wind farm in Erath County, Texas, to provide electricity for approximately 13 percent of the firm’s overall power consumption in the United States.
- Publishes first dedicated Environmental, Social and Governance Report.
- Co-authors the Green Bond Principles and joins its Executive Committee.
- Co-launches NatureVest, The Nature Conservancy’s conservation finance unit, and serves as ongoing strategic advisor.
- Commits to reducing exposure to companies engaged in mountaintop removal mining
- Achieves LEED Platinum certification for retrofit of New York City headquarters.
- Achieves first greenhouse gas reduction target and extends goal to 50 percent reduction by 2020.
- Publishes first Corporate Responsibility Report, highlighting our investments in renewable energy and our efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Chase opens first "green" bank branch in Denver, Colorado.
- Publishes Environmental and Social Policy Framework, outlining our approach to managing environmental and social issues associated with our business activities.
Stakeholder & Policy Engagement
These relationships enable us to deepen our expertise, drive improved sustainability performance and create new sustainability opportunities for clients.
NatureVest is an initiative of The Nature Conservancy, focused on developing a pipeline of investable deals that deliver both meaningful conservation results and financial returns for investors.